Modern setup Host: One of the main reasons for the slow down of your PC. If you have recently checked your Task Manager and found that the Modern Setup Host is the reason behind your slow installation of programs and also is occupying larger space, then it is time to fix the problem.
The Modern Setup Host program is an executable file in your computer that is also called SetupHost.exe. It is a self-extracting installer and archive file that runs in the background whenever you make an update or installation.
But, the problem with this program is it eats up the disk space and CPU efficiency. Many computer users are facing the same issue on their devices. If you are also a victim of Modern Setup Host, then don’t worry. Here, you will get complete information regarding fixing the Modern Setup Host and making your computer increase its speed.
- 1 Modern Setup Host
- 2 How To Fix Modern Setup Host High Disk Usage
Modern Setup Host
Not all general computer users know about this background executable file known as Modern Setup Host. Only very few people that too Tech related persons know well about Modern Setup Host. To know what is Modern Setup Host, read further.
What Is Modern Setup Host In Windows 10
The Modern Setup Host is a built-in file in Windows that helps in installing applications and updates. You won’t see it on the screen especially as it runs in the background and is one of the main components that do the installation. This host is mainly responsible for upgrading the Windows 10 on your computer. This Modern Setup Host file is located in the “Windows.BT” folder.
But, Windows has its own faults and drawbacks. This Modern Setup host file is a Beta version and also does harm your PC. This file slows down the computer and also eats up the drive storage without any necessity of it.
Causes For Modern Setup Host To Harm Your CPU and Hard Disk
There are several reasons why this host file eats up your CPU and other hard disk files. Due to these reasons, it reduces the efficiency of your system and also harms the other disk resources.
- If you download a large storage file on a disk drive of slower read/write speed.
- If there are some corrupted files running on your device which are responsible for slowing down the SetupHost.exe process.
- Maybe there is a virus or malware attached to your SetupHost.exe file or any other virus is present on your computer that is leading to the Modern Setup Host to eat up space.
If you think there is a virus on your device or any corrupted file that has malware attached to it, then a quick scan for viruses can solve the problem. Download any of the anti-virus software from a trusted source and scan all the files. It will detect the files with problems and can also increase the speed of your device.
How To Fix Modern Setup Host High Disk Usage
Well, this might seem like a big problem. But no need to worry. You can easily fix this host file issue with the help of some general solutions. It is recommended to run the Modern Setup Host for at least 3 to 4 hours to see if the issue will automatically be solved. If the issue still persists, then start following the given below solutions.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This method is the most trusted and easiest one too. Running the Windows update troubleshooter program on your Windows 10 will solve the Modern Setup Host errors in an instant.
In case if you have a Windows 7 or 8, then go to the official Microsoft’s webpage and download this app on your PC. Once you have successfully installed this app, you are all set to run it on your device. However, if you are using Windows 10 PC, then there is no need for the extra effort. The Windows Update Troubleshooter software is already present by default.
For Windows 10 users, the process is as follows:
- Press Windows + S keys on your home screen.
- Once you trigger the window, enter the command “troubleshoot”.
- You will get a list of results. Click on “Troubleshoot”.
- Now, move to the right pane and click on “Windows Update”.
- Next, click on the “Run the Troubleshooter” option.
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the troubleshooting process.
- Once the process is done, you will get the issues if there are any on your device.
- Follow the on-screen steps to fix the issue (Most probably it will ask you to do a scan or any other ways to resolve the issue).
For users with Windows 7 or 8 version, the process is as follows:
- Open the browser and go to Microsoft’s web store page.
- Download the Troubleshooter app on your device.
- Once the installation is done, run the application.
- Now, select the “Windows Update” option and click on “Next”.
- The software will detect and solve the issues.
Perform DISM Scan
A quick scan for malware or other useless files residing in your device can also help to fix the hosting errors. The Windows 10 device allows you to perform Deployment Image Servicing and Management(DSIM) scan. Follow the simple steps given below to do a DISM scan on your PC.
- Open the taskbar and select the Search icon.
- Now, enter the command as “cmd”.
- Next, make a right-click on “Command Prompt”.
- Select the option “Run as Administrator”.
- Then, confirm by clicking on “Yes”.
- Once you get the Command Prompt page, run the below-given commands.
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
This process will take a longer time. So, run the commands without interrupting in between. Once you run all the commands, go to the Task Manager and check your Modern Setup Host file.
Delete Temporary Files
When you are trying to install any update or any other application and your Modern Setup Host fails to complete the process or gets stuck in the middle, then the fault can be in your SoftwareDistribution folder. Hence, it is recommended to delete the temporary files from this folder.
- Press Windows + R keys to trigger the run dialog box.
- Now, type “SoftwareDistribution” and press Enter.
- You will be re-directed to a new window. Now, click on “Download folder”.
- Press Ctrl + A keys to select all the files in the folder.
- Make a right-click on the selected files and select “Delete”.
- And it’s done. Restart the computer and check the Task Manager.
Fix Windows Update Errors
Fixing the update errors on your Windows device can also help to fix the hosting issues. The Windows update errors usually make your PC installation speed and loading slower. To remove the corrupted files that are causing errors, follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Search icon and enter Command Prompt.
- Run the given below commands one by one.
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth.
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth.
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
- Don’t interrupt the command window and let the process to complete.
- Once the commands are completed executing, restart the system.
Check Your Default System Language
If the system language you are using does not match the operating system’s default language, then it can cause errors that in turn lead to hosting files, eating extra space, and reduced speed of CPU. Follow the given steps below to check your system language.
- Go to the Start button and then open the “Control Panel”.
- Now, go to the “Clock & Region ” option.
- Click on the drop-down menu under “Format”.
- Check the default user-interface language on your device.
- Click on “Language Preferences” to see the language.
- Make sure that your operating system language and device system language is the same.
- If not, change the settings and make them as same.
Perform A Clean Boot
There can be other files or programs interrupting the Modern Setup Host programs, this can lead your Modern Setup Host to eat up so many resources and also larger disk space. To perform a clean boot on your PC, follow the instructions given here.
- Press Windows + R keys to trigger the run dialog box.
- Give the command as “msconfig”.
- Make sure to be on the “General” tab.
- Now, click the “Selective Startup” option.
- This option will lead to check the “load startup” items.
- Now, change the tab to “Services” and click on “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Next, switch to the “Startup” tab and click on “Task Manager”.
- Make a right-click on the files and select “Disable all startup items”.
- Close the “Task Manager” and click on “Okay”.
- Restart the PC and check if your Modern Setup Host is having trouble installing updates.
Disable Windows Updates
Can I delete Modern Setup Host? Well, disabling will do the work. Disabling Windows updates on your system can temporarily fix the issues with your SetupHost.exe file. However, this is the least recommended method for us. If none of the above methods worked, try this one. And also, make sure to not keep it disabled for a long time.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run dialog box.
- Type the command “services.msc” and press “Ok”.
- Now, find the “Windows Update” in the services tab.
- Right-click on the option and select “Properties”.
- Switch to the “General” tab and open the “Startup” menu.
- Next, select the “Disabled” option.
- If the program is running, hit on “Stop”.
- Then, switch to the “Recovery” tab and toggle “First failure” to “no action”.
- Finally, click on “Apply” to save changes.
Follow this method only in urgent cases. Make sure to not keep the settings disabled for a long period. It can cause serious harm to your device.
Other Similar Articles To Check:
- Discord screen share no audio
- Instagram feed not updating
- Xbox game pass cancel
We hope you found this article helpful and got your PC working efficiently by fixing the Modern Setup Host issues. Try the above-given methods that are sure to help you. The last method that we have given is not so recommended. For more related articles, visit our Kinetic HiFi website.