One of the main problems with iMessage feature is iMessage not working on Mac Operating System. The iMessage is a basic messaging app which is designed by Apple company. This messaging service is available on iOS and MacOS devices. While iPhones and iPads does not seem to have any problem with iMessage, Mac operating system devices are facing serious problems when using iMessage.iMessage provides numerous features like sending text messages, voice messages, reactions, videos, images and much more.
This feature provides all the text services just like other apps( Whatsapp, Facebook and Skype). iMessage also allows end-to-end encryption to protect your messages. You can send iMessages to those who also have an iOS device. The messages you send to iPhone or iPad users are sent as iMessages and appear in blue color texts while those to other operating systems such as Android are sent as SMS or MMS and appear in green color texts. These green color texts are not secured with encryption.
The problem with Mac users is that the messages are not sent and received easily. It consumes a lot of time for the messages to deliver. If iMessage not working on Mac, it will automatically take a backup path by sending text messages. You might get confused if it is due to Mac error or the other person is an Android user. Well, that is creating so many issues for you. We are here to help you for these issues on iMessage not working on Mac.
iMessage Not Working On Mac
If you are facing problems while sending iMessages on Mac, this guide might be helpful for you. We are listing some ways to make your iMessage work properly. Read to know more about iMessage is not working on Mac.
Establish Internet Connection
- iMessage requires good internet connection to work while regular text messages don’t need any internet connection. All you need is message balance and cellular network for regular messages to work.
- If you iMessage is not working you might have forgot to turn on the Wi-fi or mobile data in some cases. So check for your internet connection.
- There might be a problem with the data signals sometimes. To test the signals, run any application on your device.
There is a chance of iMessage not working on Mac due to the Mac update you have done recently or switching computers. You will have to enable iMessage feature in case if it was disabled. You can check the iMessage status on your device.
- Go to the “Menu” bar and select “Messages”.
- Go to “Preferences” option.
- Now switch to your iMessage tab.
- Check for the “Enable this account” option. If you find it disabled, enable immediately.
- If you have one more Apple device then you’ll have to enable “Enable messages in iCloud”.
Sign Out and Sign in
If enabling and disabling does not seem to work on Mac, you can go for refreshing your account. You can sign out of the account and sign in back to make your iMessages function on Mac. This method mostly works and can solve your issues.
Here are the steps to take for signing out and back in on iMessage:
- Go to “Messages” app on your Mac and open the “Menu” bar.
- Select the “Preferences” under the “Menu”.
- Now switch to iMessage tab.
- Click on “Sign Out”.
- Now go back to your Apple account.
- Enter your e-mail address and password.
- Click on “Next” button.
- You will login into your account back.
- Tap “Sync” button to refresh and start messaging to check if your Mac is working or not.
Clear iMessage Cache
If your Mac displays iMessage activation error you can clear all the messages to start again as anew. Your data will be lost while clearing iMessage cache so make sure to check if you have any important files before clearing cache.
- Go to ‘Finder’ , select “Go”.
- Go to Folder.
- Navigate to the ~/Library/Messages folder.
- Make a duplicate of the folder and save it somewhere on your device outside the library.
- Now delete the original folder and all your messages will be cleared.
- You can backup the deleted folder later.
All your conversations along with the activation error will be gone now. You can use iMessage again.
Enable Message Forwarding
There are some Mac users who also use an iPhone. They end up having an issue connecting both of their devices. If you have also have an iMessage problem that your iPhone messages are not displaying on Mac, then verify if you have enabled the option of message forwarding on your iPhone. This will also allow to you send messages from your Mac.
Why Is iMessage Not Working On Mac
There can be a lot of reasons for iMessage not working on Mac. You might have a poor internet connection, or forgot to enable the iMessage. However, you can try these methods to fix those problems.
Restart Your Mac
The easiest way to make your Mac work fast is to simply restart the app. Your Mac might just need to refresh sometimes. Go to the Apple menu located on the top left corner of your Mac screen. Just click “Restart” to refresh your Mac. Launch your iMessage and start messaging.
Set Date And Time
The problem with your Mac might arise because of the date and time setting issue. If the time and date are not set automatic, then your Mac will create trouble syncing with iMessage and it will show the error as iMessage not working on Mac. The steps to set your time and date automatically are given below.
- Open ‘System Preferences’ on your computer.
- Go to “Date & Time” bar.
- Select the option “Set date and time automatically”.
iMessage On Mac Not Working
Your Mac is always not the problem for your iMessage. There might be some problems with your iPhone sometimes. Make sure that there is no problem to use iMessage on your iOS device. There might be a lack of connection between them. If iMessage is not syncing with your Mac and iphone then enable message forwarding to avoid this issue. But if both the Mac and iPhone are not working then it means there is a problem with your software itself.
Other Similar Articles To check:
- How To Fix No Sound On iPad Games
- Block “No Caller ID” Calls on iPhone
- Best free malware removal
- How to Create an Apple ID
We hope this article was helpful to you and you might have got an idea about why your iMessage is not working on Mac. Check for all the possibilities that we have mentioned above and try fixing the issue. To know more about iMessage feature on Mac, please visit our website Kinetic HiFi. Thank you for reading iMessage not working on Mac.