There have been a lot of complaints regarding the Discord app lately. When users try to open the app, the Discord won’t open at all. This issue is very frustrating for regular users. No matter how many times they try to open it, Discord won’t open.
Discord is an American app used for texting, media sharing. People create communities called servers and interact with each other. You can send text messages, voice messages, share media files, and much more. This app is used by mostly gamers who can interact with their community of people while playing games.
But, the issue with this app is now it doesn’t open for some users. There can be some issues with the app that are causing trouble. However, worry not! We are here to help you. Here, we will show you some of the best methods that will make your Discord to open.
Discord Won’t Open Fixes
Many people have been asking “Why my Discord won’t open?”. Well, one perfect reason is not known yet. Discord developers have been trying to find the cause of the issue and are trying to fix it. But, why wait for them when you can easily fix it.
The first method that we recommend is to restart the Discord app. Since your Discord won’t open, you must know that the app will be running in the background but it is just not showing up on your screen. So, you have to force stop the app and then start it again.
This method has seemed to work for many Discord users who complained that their Discord app won’t open. Follow the steps given below to perform a restart for Discord.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- On top of the window, select the “Processes” tab.
- Now, find the Discord app from the given programs.
- Once you find Discord, select the app and click on the “End Task” button.
- Now exit the window and restart your device.
- Launch Discord and check if the Discord won’t open or opens normally.
You can also kill the Discord background files. This method is also very helpful in resolving Discord won’t open issue.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run dialog box. Type “cmd” and press Enter.
- The Command Prompt will be opened.
- Type “taskkill /F /IM discord.exe” command and press Enter.
Now launch Discord and see if it will open or not.
Use Discord Website
If you are not able to use the installed app, then you should give it a try using the website. Go to this link “https://discordapp.com/” and log in with your email id and password.
If your account opens normally, then the problem is with your app. Just reinstall the app. If still Discord won’t open, then try the next methods.
Make sure to check whether you are using an updated version of Discord or your app has any pending updates. Check if there are any pending updates and install them. Then try to launch Discord and check if the Discord won’t open issue still appears.
Use System File Checker
If restarting, updating, and using the website of Discord is not working, then you can use the System File Checker option on your Windows device. SFC program is a great tool to fix the internal device issues and will most probably get to the cause of why won’t Discord open and will fix it.
Follow the steps given below.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run dialog box.
- Type “cmd” and click “OK” to open Command Prompt.
- Enter this command in the Command Prompt “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
- Wait until you get a message of successful completion of the command.
Now, exit the window and restart your Windows PC. Once restarted, try to open Discord and see if the issue still persists.
If the SFC scan didn’t help to fix the issue, then you can also use this method. Maybe your proxy server is interrupting the signal that is the reason why your Discord won’t open. So, disable the proxies on your Windows device. To do so, follow the steps given below.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run dialog box.
- Type “Control Panel” and press Enter or click “OK”.
- The Control Panel will be opened now.
- In the left pane of the window, select “Network and Internet”.
- Now, on the main screen, open “Internet Options”.
- A pop-up window will appear on the screen. Change the tab to “Connections”.
- Now, click on the “LAN settings” button at the right.
- Check the box for “Automatically detect settings”.
- And uncheck the box for “Use a proxy server for your LAN”.
- Finally, click on “OK” to save the changes.
To flush DNS, follow the steps given below.
- Press Windows + R keys to run the dialog box.
- Type “cmd” and click “OK” to open the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, give this command “ipconfig/flushdns”.
- Now, press Enter.
Once the DNS is flushed successfully, exit the window. Restart your Windows computer and check if still Discord won’t open.
Correct The Date & Time
Make sure to check if the date and time are correct on your device. If you find that the date and time are incorrect, then you can set them back to normal.
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Open the “Time and Language” option from the given menu.
- Enable the “Set time automatically” option.
Now go back to your Discord app and check if Discord won’t open still.
If none of the above resolved the issue and still your Discord won’t open, then just uninstall the app from your Windows device and install it again. This can get rid of any issues residing in the older app and can start as a new one.
Follow the steps given below to reinstall Discord.
- Press Windows and search “Control Panel”. In the results, open Control Panel.
- Now, click on “Uninstall a program” under the “Programs” section.
- All the installed programs will be displayed on your screen.
- Find “Discord” from the list of programs. Once you found it, select it.
- Right-click on Discord and click “Uninstall” and confirm.
- Now, go to the official website of Discord.
- Here is the link: https://discordapp.com/
- Just install Discord and login with your details.
Most probably, this step will resolve the issue of Discord not opening.
Other Articles To Check:
- Discord not detecting mic
- Best voice changer for discord
- Discord screen share no audio
- Kmode exception not handled
We hope our methods helped you to fix the issue of “Discord won’t open”. The above methods are useful and have also worked for many Discord users. So you can trust and follow the methods given here. If still after performing all the methods, your Discord won’t open, then you should contact Discord customer support. For more related articles, visit the Kinetic HiFi website. We hope you liked this post.